Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Throwback Post: My First Cake

As part of this blog, I plan to document some of my earlier projects.  This was my first attempt at cake making. . . well the first I have photos of.  There was an interesting birthday cake I made for Kevin the year before this that had so many complicated layers to it (thank you Martha Stewart).  I believe one of them didn't work quite right so there was some scrambled egg involved.

For reasons that now escape me, I refused to entertain the idea of buying fondant even though I'd never worked with it before.  So I spent several hours making the fondant for this cake from scratch. . . Never again.  I now make marshmallow fondant. . . much quicker and 1000 times tastier.

This was Amelia's Baptism Cake in March 2009.  I believe it was lemon cake inside (the same cake I made as the center of my Baked Alaska - it's been a favourite for a while).



As a side note. . . oh for the days when I could see the wood of our dining room table.  It now has a protective pad plus a pink plastic table cloth on it as the girls have taken over the dining room as a craft room.  I can imagine what damage little Zoe could do to the finish in 30 seconds flat.

No comments:

Post a Comment